Between your holiday parties, family obligations, and the pressure of finding the perfect gift, this time of year can go by in a flash. But during the holiday season, we are often reminded that it’s important to give back. Below are seven easy ways to do just that by helping our neighbors facing hunger.
- Set up a holiday food drive. Get your neighbors together and start a neighborhood food drive. Make sure to check out our tips for the perfect holiday food drive and help your local food bank with what they need most. Then in the weeks leading up to the holidays, encourage your neighbors and family to help make a difference in your community.
- Teach your kids about hunger. Take a moment to remind your kids that they have a lot to be grateful for, while also encouraging empathy for others by teaching them about children who are facing hunger. This handy guide will get you started.
- Give a gift that gives back. We can’t ignore that this is the season for giving, and often that results in an endless search of gifts for loved ones. This year, consider donating to Feeding America in honor of your friends and family. You will be spreading the love twice as far by giving meals to families who are in need and giving your loved one a meaningful gift. Give a gift today.
- Volunteer! Grow your heart three sizes this year by giving just a few hours of your time to your local food bank or food pantry. It won’t cost you anything, but the feeling of helping your neighbors in need during the holiday season is priceless. Get in touch with your local food bank to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
- Express your gratitude. Creating a family gratitude journal is a great way to have meaningful conversations with your loved ones and reconnect during the holiday season. We have some fun journaling prompts for the whole family.
- Make a difference online. There are lots of ways that you can help people facing hunger from the comfort of your own laptop. You can start an online fundraiser or add Feeding America as your charity of choice on Amazon Smile or eBay. Your actions may inspire friends and family to join you in the fight to end hunger.
- Send warm holiday wishes to a family facing hunger. Many families struggle to have carefree holiday celebrations when they don’t know where their next meal will come from. Sending a thoughtful note is a simple way to let families in need know that you are thinking of them today and wishing them a brighter tomorrow.
Original Source: https://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-blog/seven-ways-to-give-back