Nachos are a delicious snack–but they’re often loaded with not-so-healthy things. Luckily, it’s possible to make healthier nachos without sacrificing taste! In recognition of National Nachos Day on November 6th, try one of these healthier nacho recipes below!
Health Advocate Nachos
Enjoy this recipe we created just for you! These nutritionally loaded nachos feature plenty of fresh and flavorful ingredients, plus a healthy fat (avocado), a delicious whole grain topping (quinoa), and a great source of protein and fiber (black beans) to help you feel fuller for longer. Plus, if you’re aiming to “eat the rainbow,” this recipe includes several different colors of good-for-you foods!
- Whole grain or multigrain tortilla chips
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese of your choice (We recommend using cheddar or a Mexican blend)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño, chopped
- Juice from 2 limes
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread tortilla chips on baking sheet and evenly cover with cheese.
- Mix the chopped tomato, pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeño and lime juice. Set aside.
- Place the chips in the oven and bake until the cheese melts.
- While nachos are hot, spread the tomato mixture onto them, and then top with the quinoa, avocado and black beans.
Hungry for more?
Grilled Zucchini Nachos – Ditch the chips! This recipe uses zucchini in their place for a surprisingly easy and delicious variation of nachos.
Super Nachos – Prefer nachos with the really gooey cheese? Try this recipe to make your own rather than using store-bought “liquid” cheese. Plus, if you enjoy nachos with meat, this recipe includes beef.
Loaded Healthy Nachos – Avoid fried chips by making your own chips! This simple recipe is equally delicious and healthy.
Chicken Nacho Casserole – This low-fat chicken nacho recipe utilizes traditional Mexican spices such as cumin and chili powder.
Black Bean Nacho Pizza – Looking for a different vehicle for your nacho toppings? You may be interested in this recipe. It features a whole-wheat pizza dough that is easy to make.
Vegan Nachos – This recipe calls for equal parts kale and tortilla chips. Serve with avocado and salsa for ever more flavor.
Original Source: http://blog.healthadvocate.com/2015/11/healthier-nacho-recipes/