Summer Camp Revamped by the numbers:
26 States, 54 Camps, impacting nearly 113,000 Scouts
Penn State PRO Wellness has partnered with 54 Boy Scouts of America summer camps nationwide to implement Summer Camp Revamped since its initiation in the summer of 2016. This program combines evidence-based practices and healthful changes to both the camp environment and the food offerings in an effort to make the healthy choice, the easy choice.
As part of this program, PRO Wellness:
- signs off on healthy dining hall menus
- assists with the implementation of healthier dining hall menus
- recommends healthier inventory for the camp snack bar
- suggests food and dining hall layouts to nudge healthy choices
- conducts on-site camp visits to ensure program success
- helps implement price-point advantages in camp snack bars, while still turning a profit
- encourages more physical activity through a Step-Up Challenge
Troop leaders and Scouts have expressed overwhelming support for Summer Camp Revamped with favorable results realized in:
- improved nutrition content of dining hall meals,
- satisfaction with food choices
- increased activity
- and maintained snack bar sales
Recognizing that every camp and council is unique, PRO Wellness has developed a packaged Summer Camp Revamped toolkit and virtual Camp Revamped networks with camp leaders from across the nation.
Have a question or want more information about enrolling your camp?
Learn more about this project:
No printables available
No resources available