Summer Camp Revamped by the numbers:
26 States, 54 Camps, more than 113,000 Scouts
In 2015, Jeanne Donlevy Arnold, philanthropist and advocate for whole child health, was tasked by former Boy Scouts of America’s National President Dr. Robert Gates to lead a Presidential Task Force to address childhood obesity. Penn State PRO Wellness partnered with Ms. Arnold and Boy Scouts of America to develop the Scouting COMPASS program, which encourages healthy eating and active living.
More specifically, PRO Wellness has partnered with 54 Scouts BSA summer camps nationwide to implement Summer Camp Revamped. This program combines evidence-based practices and healthful changes to both the camp environment and the food offerings in an effort to make the healthy choice, the easy choice. As part of this program, PRO Wellness:
- signs off on healthy dining hall menus
- assists with the implementation of healthier dining hall menus
- recommends healthier inventory for the camp snack bar
- suggests food and traffic arrangements to nudge healthy choices
- conducts on-site camp visits to ensure program success
- helps implement price-point advantages in camp snack bars, while still turning a profit
- encourages more physical activity through a Step-Up Challenge
Troop leaders and Scouts have expressed overwhelming support for Summer Camp Revamped with favorable results realized in improved nutrition content of dining hall meals, satisfaction with food choices, increased activity, and maintained snack bar sales. Recognizing that every camp and council is unique, PRO Wellness has developed a packaged Summer Camp Revamped toolkit and virtual Camp Revamped networks with camp leaders from across the nation.
Learn more about this project: