Do you know someone in crisis? You can be a lifeline and help support them! Here are five steps you can take that are known to help:
- ASK: Are you thinking about suicide? Do you hurt? How can I help?
- BE THERE: In person or on the phone. Show support. Listen. Keep promises to connect.
- HELP KEEP THEM SAFE: If the person in crisis is suicidal, details matter: Do they have a plan, or ideas about timing or method? You can call 988 to support their crisis care.
- HELP THEM CONNECT: When someone is in crisis, connecting them with ongoing supports can help establish a safety net. Remind them they can call, text, or chat 988 to connect with a trained crisis counselor 24/7.
- FOLLOW UP: After the immediate crisis is over, check in. That text or call afterwards makes a real difference.
Original Source: https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/988/partner-toolkit/social-media-shareables